- Image of the Day -
Feature Artist Bio
By permission of the artist, The Cyber Art Show is pleased to feature the second of two 12-piece exhibitions of works by contemporary American landscape painter John Bayalis (born 1950 in Philadelphia, PA).
John Bayalis has been the recipient of numerous
awards throughout the United States and has painted
abroad in Ireland, England and France. Noted for his distinct, realist style, the artist’s skill at handling contemporary themes and subject matter has earned him acclaim from art critics and collectors throughout the United States.
John’s vibrant watercolors reflect a specific clarity of light and form,
while dealing with unique viewpoints in portraying popular culture and the vernacular landscape. The artist has also embraced still life as a format, and sought to show a personal vision in both content and composition. Intricate set ups include man-made and
natural elements as well as printed backdrops, vintage postcards and periodicals. The carefully selected viewpoints depict compositions meticulously rendered on the watercolor paper, that glow in subtly
balanced color palettes.
Among John's honors are an award of an individual artist’s
fellowship grant and the selection for The Watercolor Page
in AMERICAN ARTIST magazine where one of his works
graced the cover.
The artist’s works are included in private and corporate
collections throughout the United States.
B.A., University of Delaware,
M.F.A., University of Delaware
- Southwest Watercolor Society, Dallas, TX
Awarded Best in Show
- Florida Watercolor Society, Ocala, FL Award of Merit
- Art of the Heartland National Exhibition, Mena, AK Award of Merit
- Florida Watercolor Society, Online members Show
Awarded Second Place
- Missouri Watercolor Society, St. Louis MO Awarded Best in Show
- Mainsail Festival of the Arts, St. Petersburg, FL Purchase Prize
- Rehoboth Art League, Rehoboth Beach, De. Biennial Show
Award of Merit
- Gasparilla Festival of the Arts, Tampa , FL
- Mainsail Festival of the Arts, S. Petersburg, FL
- Melrose Open Air Arts, Melrose, FL Awarded
First Place in watercolor
- Mainsail Arts Festival, St. Petersburg, FL Award of Merit
- Melrose Open Air Paint Out, Melrose, FL
Awarded First Place Watercolor
- Images Arts Festival, New Smyrna Beach, FL
Award of Distinction
- Rehoboth Art League Member Show, Rehoboth Beach, DE
Award of Distinction
- Mainsail Arts Festival, St. Petersburg, Fl
Award of Distinction, selected Poster artist for 2009
March 31, 2017
Twelve Pieces by Contemporary Artist
John Bayalis (Born 1950)
“My interest in painting has always been in realism. The world around me has provided an
infinite variety of colors, forms and textures that I have used for the sources of my work for the past 35 years.
I have always had a preference for drawing rather than painting in terms of control and the use of line and detail. Watercolor has provided me with a medium that produces a transition from drawing into using color in painting.
I have explored a variety of subject sources in my career, some more traditional, others
less so. The current body of work is derived from my interest in visual Americana, that is
images that I feel are specific to our culture. I have chosen both still life and landscape
imagery to interpret this vision, focusing on the vernacular that is the functional rather
than the monumental. An interest is in the commonplace has always been an important
element in my work. These landscape works reflect some nostalgic elements as well as
views derived from everyday sights and reflect my view of the present.”