- Image of the Day -
"Morning in the Valley"
Feature Artist Bio
Matt White - Morning in the Valley
Matt White - Early Start
Matt White - Morning on the Plaza
Matt White - Morning Chores
Matt White - Sandcastle
Matt White - Casting Off
Matt White - Long Stay
Matt White - Late Afternoon
Matt White - Anchored
Matt White - Finally Home
Matt White - Evening on the Plaza
Matt White - Minneapolis at Dusk
ARTIST'S OFFICIAL BIO https://mwhiteart.com/about
By permission of the artist, The Cyber Art Show is pleased to feature the second of two 12-piece exhibitions of works by American painter
Matt White (Born 1984 in Kansas, USA).
Matt was drawn to art at an early age and has pursued this curiosity through drawing, music, and video production. It wasn’t until after a degree in Mass Communication and several years into a career as a video editor that he began his journey into watercolor.
Matt is mostly a self-taught artist, although he was honored to study with renowned artist Joseph Zbukvic in the Spring of 2017. He believes that the keys to continued progress are repetition, hard work, and the study of master painters.
Matt is drawn to a growing number of subjects but concentrates mostly on streetscapes, seascapes and landscapes. He strives to convey a sense of space and depth in his work, creating a rich atmosphere and a poetic visual story, with an emphasis on value and tone over saturated color. He uses a more limited palette of primary colors and earth tones with an occasional highlight of color. Matt is captured by the elusive ever-changing moments of the world around us, and strives to capture this fleeting beauty in his work.
Matt is an associate member of The American Watercolor Society, The National Watercolor Society and The Missouri Valley Impressionist Society.
Awards and Recognition - 2017
- “Evening on the Plaza” was awarded the honor Outstanding Watercolor by Boldbrush Jury in July 2017.
- “Casting Off” was selected as part of the FAV15% (jury’s favorite 15% of the entries) in the October 2017 Boldbrush Painting Competition.
- “12th st.” was selected as part of the FAV15% (jury’s favorite 15% of the entries) in the September 2017 Boldbrush Painting Competition.
- “The Plaza” was selected as part of the FAV15% (jury’s favorite 15% of the entries) in the August 2017 Boldbrush Painting Competition.
- “Evening on the Plaza” was selected as part of the FAV15% (jury’s favorite 15% of the entries) in the July 2017 Boldbrush Painting Competition.
- “Visibility” was selected as part of the FAV15% (jury’s favorite 15% of the entries) in the March 2017 Boldbrush Painting Competition.
- Winner of the 2017 Big Picnic Plein Air Competition held at the Nelson Atkins Museum of Art
- Purchase Award Recipient at the Lee Summit Plein Air Competition 2017
January 4, 2018
Twelve Pieces by Contemporary Artist
Matt White (Born 1984)
“I use rough textured paper and work at an angle that allows the water and pigment to flow down the paper and mix. One aspect of watercolor that is forever engaging is it’s spontaneity. I try my best to constantly observe what is happening on the paper and react to it. If I am forceful, it usually doesn’t work out. I think some of the most beautiful parts of my paintings are the reactions on the paper that I couldn’t have planned. That is what makes each piece unique unto itself.”