March 3, 2018
Twelve Pieces by Contemporary Artist
Jonathan Kwegyir Aggrey (Born 1984)
Jonathan Kwegyir Aggrey - Adabraka street
Jonathan Kwegyir Aggrey - Day Break at Elimina
Jonathan Kwegyir Aggrey - Happiness
Jonathan Kwegyir Aggrey - Happiness II
Jonathan Kwegyir Aggrey - Osu Doku Street
Jonathan Kwegyir Aggrey - Jamestown, Accra 2
Jonathan Kwegyir Aggrey - Jamestown, Accra 4
Jonathan Kwegyir Aggrey - Jamestown Fishing Community
Jonathan Kwegyir Aggrey - Memories of Elmina Fishing Bay
Jonathan Kwegyir Aggrey - Winneba Township
Jonathan Kwegyir Aggrey - Memories of Abandze II
Jonathan Kwegyir Aggrey - Flash Back 2
- Image of the Day -
Feature Artist Bio
ARTIST'S OFFICIAL BIO (see above)
Jonathan Kwegyir Aggrey's
By permission of the artist, The Cyber Art Show is pleased to feature the second of two 12-piece exhibitions of works by African painter Jonathan Kwegyir Aggrey (born 1984 in Ghana).
Jonathan K. Aggrey holds a Bachelors degree (Bachelor of Arts) in Art Education from the University of Education, Winneba, Ghana.
Jonathan has had the privilege of exhibiting in group and solo exhibitions in several countries including Ghana, Turkey, Romania, China, Thailand, Albania, Colombia, Nigeria, Italy, France, Norway, Jordan, South Korea, Pakistan, and Russia. He has also appeared in several major international watercolor catalogues and publications around the world. His collectors include Qingdao Art Museum in China and numerous art collectors around the world.
He won a ‘Young Icon’ award in the Osagyefo Dr. Kwame Nkrumah African Genius Awards, 2014. He also won ‘Golden Brush’ award in Gaziantep, Turkey 2017. Some of his other awards include: 1st Place Winner; Istanbul Watercolor Society/Istanbul Suluboya Toplulugu, (The Best Watercolor Painting of Month of May Contest. 2013) Second Diploma Awarded by The St. Petersburg Watercolor Society, Russia. 2013. Romania Portrait and Caricature Personalities Award, 2011. Appreciation Award in Pakistan 2018 and other awards.
• The 1st Nanning China International Watercolor Exhibition (Song of Water) Organized by Guangxi Arts - University, Nanning, China.
• HuaHin BluPort Watercolor Art Biennale, Thailand.
• Festival International de l’Aquarelle et du Carnet de Voyage, Aigullon, France.
• The World Through Art: International Watercolor Exhibition in Moscow (Russia).
• Re-Interpretation 2016: International Contemporary Watercolor Exhibition Tour in China.
• FabrianoInAcquarello Watercolor Exhibition, Italy.
• Pearls of Peace Through Watercolor, Pakistan.
• Wiz Art International Watercolor Biennale, Albania.
• International Watercolor Society Exhibition, Turkey.
• FabrianoInAcquarello Watercolor Exhibition. Italy.
• Transilvania Art Gallery Expozitie De Acuarela ‘‘Ghana’’, Brasov, Romania, Europe. (Solo)
• The World Watercolor Triennial Exhibition, Korea.
• International Watercolor Triennial Exhibition. Colombia.
• Qingdao International Watercolor Biennial, Qingdao Art Museum, China.
• Expozitie De Arta Africana, Castelul Cantacuzino, Romania, Europe. (Solo)
• World Watermedia Exposition, Thailand.
• Ghanacuarela, Imbold Gallery, Romania. Europe. (Solo)
• African Essence, Biodunomolayo Art Gallery Lagos, Nigeria. (Solo)
• International Watercolor Society, Turkey 2012, 2013, 2014.
“My work process starts with several thumbnail sketches to explore my ideas on the subject. I
work out the composition, the placement of objects, the focal point and supporting elements. I
also outline the tonal values and also distinguish between the light and shade areas. When I am
satisfied with the sketch, I stretch out my watercolor paper on a board with a help of masking tape. After that, I transfer the sketch by drawing the outlines using soft pencil (3B or 4B).
I start painting by first laying light mixture of washes to establish the tones and the atmospheric
mood usually using a bigger brush. When the first washes are dried, I start building on the tones
gradually from light to darks to bring out the forms. I then use a small brush for the details and