- Image of the Day -
"Walk in Cootes Paradise V"
Feature Artist Bio
ARTIST'S OFFICIAL BIO http://www.porter-arts.com/About.html
By permission of the artist, The Cyber Art Show is pleased to feature the second of two 12-piece exhibitions of works by American landscape
painter Clarence A. Porter (born 1947, in Indiana, USA).
Clarence has been an artist his entire life. He and his siblings were raised in a household filled with music, learning and love. Being creative was a given in his family and Clarence's form of creativity was drawing and painting.
After attending John Herron Art Institute for a brief time, Clarence began his career in the real world as an advertising agency art director for a local television station, an advertising agency and a medical learning lab. Moving to Toronto, Ontario in 1972, Clarence worked as art director for two advertising agencies before leaving the "biz" to become a freelance commercial illustrator. He freelanced for many years working in a broad range of drawing, painting and digital media.
Relocating to Hamilton, Ontario in 2001, Clarence started working with pastels for his own pleasure while still freelancing. In 2006 he was juried into the Purely Pastels 15th Annual Juried Exhibition held at the Art Gallery of Hamilton. Clarence received an Honorable Mention and this was the impetus he needed. Since then he hasn’t looked back and his work has been juried into many exhibitions where they have also won awards.
Clarence has participated in multiple group exhibitions and four solo shows. His work has been collected locally and internationally. He received his Master Pastel Artist of Canada (MPAC) signature designation from Pastel Artists Canada in 2014. Clarence is a member of the International Association of Pastel Societies and was elected a Signature Member of the Pastel Society of America in 2016.
While his focus now is painting with pastels, he also enjoys conducting demonstrations and workshops as well as teaching courses in soft pastels as an occasional instructor at the Art Gallery of Hamilton. Clarence gains additional inspiration by teaching art as a part-time instructor in the Visual and Creative Arts Department at Sheridan College.
Selected Solo Exhibitions
- 2015 Sunsets and Shadow Things, The Nathaniel Hughson Art Gallery, Hamilton
- 2014 A Selection, Hamilton Public Library Central Branch, Hamilton
- 2013 vancouVIEWS, The Nathaniel Hughson Gallery, Hamilton
- 2012 SteelVIEW, De Facto at Mulberry, Hamilton
Selected Group Exhibitions
- “I Frequently Go There…”, Earls Court Gallery, Hamilton
- BIHAMINTO - The Co-Show, Stockyards Gallery, Toronto
- Pastel Society of North Carolina's Pure Color 2017 Online Exhibition
- 7th Annual PleinAir Salon June/July Online Exhibition
- Society of Canadian Artists 2017 Open International Juried Online Exhibition
- Out of the Back Door Group Exhibition, Earls Court Gallery
- Purely Pastels 4th Online Members Juried Exhibition, Pastel Artists Canada
- The Secret Cache Group Exhibition, Earls Court Gallery
- Square Foot Show 2016, Julia Veenstra Studios
- Purely Pastels 25th Annual Open Juried Exhibition, Pastel Artists Canada, Aurora Cultural Centre, Aurora
- Purely Pastels 3rd Online Members Juried Exhibition, Pastel Artists Canada
- NEXT!, The Arts and Letters Club of Toronto, Toronto
- Happy Holidays, The Nathaniel Hughson Art Gallery, Hamilton
- Purely Pastels 2nd Online Members Juried Exhibition, Pastel Artists Canada
- Purely Pastels 23rd Annual Open Juried Exhibition 2014, Pastel Artists Canada,
- Beaux-Arts Brampton, Brampton
- Purely Pastels 1st Online Members Juried Exhibition, Pastel Artists Canada
- Hamilton, The Nathaniel Hughson Gallery, Hamilton
Grants And Awards
- 2016 Honorable Mention, Purely Pastels 25th Annual Open Juried Exhibition - No. 3a &3b (vancouVIEWS)
- 2015 Honorable Mention, Purely Pastels 3rd Online Members Juried Exhibition - Little Kennisis (Sunsets & Shadow Things)
- Honorable Mention, NEXT!, The Arts and Letters Club of Toronto, Sunset Under the Skyway (Sunsets & Shadow Things)
- 2014 Ursula Reese Grand Prize, Purely Pastels 23rd Annual Open Juried Exhibition 2014, Pipes are Playing (steelVIEW)
- Ontario Arts Council (OAC) Exhibition Assistance Grant, vancouVIEW series
- Honorable Mention, Pastel Journal (USA), 15th Annual Pastel 100 Competition, Steel (steelVIEW)
- 2013 Honorable Mention, Purely Pastels 22nd Annual Open Juried Exhibition 2013
October 28, 2017
Twelve Pieces by Contemporary Artist
Clarence A. Porter (Born 1947)
Clarence calls his art “playing” and his creations flow from his toy box full of pastel colours for the viewer’s enjoyment. "My belief is that my art must be both objective and subjective: objective in its original intent and execution and subjective in its interaction with the viewer. I try not to get in the way of my art, allowing any subtext to be discerned by the viewer."
In his art, colours, shapes and patterns all occupy the same importance. Clarence lets the contrast of light and shadow separate them. "I hope that my art gives the viewer pause to reflect on a moment in time that I cherished, frozen in pastel pigments.”