- Image of the Day -
Feature Artist Bio
ARTIST'S OFFICIAL BIO http://media.wix.com/ugd/05f00e_eceea0641bc14d1baee71451ea282336.pdf
Susan Nicholas Gephart's
By permission of the artist, The Cyber Art Show is pleased to feature the first of two 12-piece exhibitions of works by contemporary
American landscape painter Susan Nicholas Gephart (born 1957 in Pennsylvania, USA).
Influenced by her artist father, Susan Nicholas Gephart developed a deep appreciation of the earth and its relationship to art when she was a young child. Her passion to explore the landscape is expressed through a unique use of color, texture, and atmosphere, capturing the emotion of a moment with spontaneity and directness.
Susan is a 1979 Bachelor of Fine Arts graduate of the Pennsylvania State University, and a 1977 Associate in Arts graduate from Montgomery County Community College. In 2007 Susan was inducted into the MCCC Alumni Hall of Fame, and then selected as one of 50 Outstanding Alumni in 2014.
Susan has been exhibiting and painting award-winning landscapes for over forty years and balanced raising three children while pursuing an art career. Her colorful, impressionistic plein air pastels and oils are in private and permanent collections across the country, including The Penn Stater Conference Center, Lock Haven University, and The Southern Alleghenies Museum of Art.
Susan is an Associate Member of the Pastel Society of America, and a past president and Signature Member of the Central Pennsylvania Pastel Society. She also co-founded the Plein Air Painters of Central PA.
Susan spreads her love of creating art in nature to all ages through her teachings. She has been instructing pastels since the mid 80’s, and organizing the Hameau Farm Studio Artist Retreats—now in its 19th year—for all levels and mediums. All of Susan’s workshops are supported by top national art supply companies, allowing her students to sample a variety of art supply products. Her workshops are advertised in Pastel Journal, and PleinAir Magazine, and her art is advertised in Fine Art Connoisseur.
Susan’s pastel, “Hameau Farm Sunset and Clouds,” was published in the July 2016 issue of Plein Air Magazine in the article, “The Many Moods of Clouds.” This fall, Susan was a featured artist to watch in Pennsylvania Crave Magazine. In 2017 Susan Nicholas Gephart will be invited faculty for the 6th Annual Plein Air Convention in San Diego.
* 2014-2017 Plein Air Convention and Expo
* 2017 Southern Alleghenies Museum of Art Biennial
* 2015 Southern Alleghenies Museum, “Pastel Expressions”, Central PA Pastel Society.
* 2009 "Focus on the Landscape," HUB Gallery, Pennsylvania State University, PA. Solo Exhibition
* 2008 "A Father and Daughter's Landscape Passages" Susan Nicholas Gephart and Thomas C. Nicholas Jr., Montgomery County Community College, PA
* 2007 "Landscape Passages: A Father and Daughter Exhibit" with Thomas C. Nicholas, Jr., Margery Wolf-Kune Balcony Gallery of the Southern Alleghenies Museum of Art in Loretto, PA
* 2017 Plein Air Convention and Expo, invited Faculty and Pastel Presenter, San Diego, CA
* 2016 “Best Pastel” in Central Pennsylvania Festival of the Arts “Images” Juried Exhibit, State College, PA
* 2016 First prize, Art Alliance of Central PA
* 2009 Best of Show, Art Alliance of Central PA, Members Show
* 2002 Best of Show, 19th Annual Juried Art Exhibition, Susquehanna River Arts Center
* Langman Gallery, Willow Grove, PA
* State College Framing Co. & Gallery, State College, PA
* Central PA Pastel Society,
Past President and Signature Member
* Pastel Society of America,
*Landscape Artist International
February 3, 2017
Twelve Pieces by Contemporary Artist
Susan Nicholas Gephart (Born 1957)
“All my life I have been inspired by the beauty of our fragile earth environment. Working on location outdoors, or "en plein air," whether in pastels or oils, allows for spontaneity and directness. Responding to the sound, smell, and light of the environment influences each interpretation. The essential elements of these paintings are color, shape, sense of atmosphere, and the emotion of the moment.
I strive to capture and convey a spiritual message of nature's importance and connection to man. There is an inner peace and balance in response to the landscape that continually rejuvenates my love of painting Sky, Water and Earth.”